Nobody's Stealing My Thunder



OMG! This is unprecedented! A post on Tuesday! I don't think this has happened in at least a month or maybe even two. Could I possibly be getting back into the groove of things? Probably not.

Today Hubba-hubba and I decided to go see Tropic Thunder. We dropped Mr. P off to school and headed to the nearest movie theater, where the tickets are only four bucks for a matinee! Score! And it is actually a nice theater with stadium seating and with floors that only marginally adhere to the soles of your shoes.

I know that there is a bit of protest surrounding a certain aspect of the film. The main character, in a futile Oscar bid, tries to play a mentally challenged man against his normal shoot 'em up type.

I have to say that I understand both sides of the argument. Ben Stiller says that the ones he is making fun of are the actors that play mentally handicapped people in order to boost their careers, while the other side cries foul.

Upon seeing the movie, there can be no doubt in my mind that Ben Stiller is right. It is poking fun at the movie industry and the actors who feel they are giving themselves a certain air of gravitas for playing such a role. And to be honest, hasn't it worked a lot of the time?

Did not Tom Hanks win an Oscar for Forrest Gump? And Russel Crowe one for A Beautiful Mind? And Dustin Hoffman for Rain Man? Granted those are different forms of mental disability, but the fact that the Academy gives them such kudos for putting a "human" face on people who are already human, thank you very much, says a lot about the industry.

So, go see Tropic Thunder. I recommend it heartily.

Comments

Ted said…
I've been wanting to see this film. However, the day it was released there were some protests about Ben Stiller's depiction of mentally handicapped people. C'mon! The movie is about skewering Hollywood egos, so...if you want to see something like that, go for it. If you don't, see something else. Personally, I'm going to see it. :-)
Nance said…
I'm just tired of there being some group somewhere representing something that will come out and protest and the media will grab it and shake it like a pit bull with its fangs in a steak. Okay, so Group Against It, state your case and then shut up. Where were they when the film was being made? It's not hard to find out what these movies are about when they are in production. All the trade mags are talking about them. Ever hear of IMDb? Or the Internet? Sigh. Free Speech, people. I won't go see it because I don't like that kind of film and don't like Ben Stiller, but I won't tell people out of the block not to see it.
Autumn's Mom said…
I saw it this weekend and have to say, funniest movie of the year. I really enjoyed it and just didn't understand all the bad hype.
Maternal Mirth said…
Hollywood wants to be (gasp!) shocking and (aaaww, my feelings are hurt) sensitive... it's not possible.
Scout said…
I am intrigued by this movie because so many people are in it, and not taking huge roles with their names in top billing. I'll give it a shot.
Eunice Burns said…
For sure I'm going to see this. Just try and stop me.


Apathy Lounge

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll