She'll Always Be Maria to Me

We have ATT/Yahoo as our ISP, and they have thoughtfully provided a radio station for their subscribers. There is one particular genre that I find myself going to often, which is called "Little Kidz Music." Because nothing says hip like puttting a z on the end of something plural. Right.

Anyhoodle, (shamelessly stolen from GFY) for some reason they play a lot of soundtrack music. And what great songstress is given lots of airtime?

This lady:




Can I just say that until recently, I hadn't quite known the depths of my girl-crush on Julie Andrews?

I mean, has this woman not been in oodles of classic movies? Movies that will go down in history as some of the greatest of all time? I remember very clearly listening over and over to "The Sound of Music" on my grandparent's 8-track player when I was a little girl. And yes, I realize I have totally dated myself, but I don't care.

I think she has one of the most beautiful voices. So clear, so pure, so able to hit those high notes! Add to that a serene beauty that doesn't seem to exist in stars today, and I heart Julie Andrews! I dont' know why, but my insides go all gooey when I hear her.

I recently read an interview with her that discussed her voice, which sadly for the world, has been lost due to botched throat surgery. In that interview, she said that in retrospect, she considered her voice a "freak of nature" and was thankful that she had ever had the opportunity to sing at all. Come on, say it with me, "Awwwww..."

Not too many people know that she originated the role of Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady" on Broadway. She was passed over for the role in the movie, and even though I love Audrey Hepburn, wouldn't it have been easier to just let Julie do it? Then they would never have had to dub in the singing. Sheesh.

For those of you with four minutes to spare, I leave you with a medley sung by the lovely Dame Andrews. It's pretty amazing, despite the fact that they decided to dress her in a leftover tablecloth from a local Italian restaurant.



I don't want to hear anybody hating on Julie. She's just Julie to me now, that's how close I feel to her. Seriously, if you don't like Julie, I'm not sure I can be your friend anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll