We Are the World

I don't know if you've noticed, but I have added a button to my sidebar. It is for the stopglobalwarming.org site, and a few days ago, I completed the simple task of entering my name and zip code into their database.

Won't you consider adding your voice?

As many people who dabble in politics know, there are only a few ways get your voice heard. Either you have strength in numbers or you have a lot of money to donate. Technically speaking, if you are sleeping with a politician, you probably also have quite a bit of sway, but we'll just assume that isn't going to happen for most people.

I don't know how many times I have despaired that there is a Republican in office who is hemming and hawing and bascially doing nothing about the problem of global warming. I wonder what life will be like for my great-grandchildren, and George W. Bush's great-grandchildren as well. That is the thing that boggles my mind about this issue, that no one, regardless of race, class or religion will be spared the consequences. I truly believe this. That is why I don't understand why people are so willing to turn a blind eye to what is happening, and sacrificing the earth due to the refusal to look at the overwhelming evidence. Or even worse, for quick profits and fleeting power.

The science is there, and for those that say some scientists disagree about the causes of global warming, remember that there are people who also deny the Holocaust. I am not necessarily equating the two, but my point is that you will most likely get more attention paid to you if you buck the current thinking, rather than being part of the majority.

Even people like Walter Cronkite and Barack Obama have added their voices to the march, although it fascinates me that a former member of Phish has been able to register more people than good old Walter and John McCain combined. Ah well, at least they beat out Huey Lewis.

Whatever, I'll take my numbers where ever I can possibly get them. And as we all know, the more the better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache