I Think I Need A Shower Now

I was at my sister's house on Sunday having a girl's day out and we stumbled across a movie that we felt would be a nice cap to the evening.

Remember Dirty Dancing?

It came out in 1987 when I was a sophomore in high school. Like everyone else, I went and saw it. And I liked it but for whatever reason I had never flagged it as one of my favorites.

What the hell was I thinking?

Why I didn't fall immediately and madly in love with Patrick Swayze is beyond me. While his acting in this movie was perhaps not worthy of an award of some kind, his physique certainly was. I mean, I'm not sure I care about the quality of the emoting when I am distracted by shoulders and pecs like those gvien every opportunity to be displayed.

As for Jennifer Grey, it was so refreshing to see a starlet who was so far from perfect. I know, my age is showing. She was not exactly beautiful, but attractive. And of course, everybody knows about her distinctive nose (which by the way was altered during plastic surgery and she looks nothing like herself, if that is possible) But I also noticed that while thin, she had thighs! And a butt! And real boobs in proportion to her figure! She wasn't skeletor walking around, but had a nice healthy body.

Another thing was that I hadn't remembered it being as um, erotic as it was. Maybe I was just some Catholic girl under a rock at the time, because there was no escaping the vibe. As a mother, I actually felt kind of scandalized watching it, as I know some people consider it a "family" movie. Hello, there was sex all over the place! Simulated on the dance floor, implied just about everywhere, with supposedly naked bodies under sheets aplenty. I could almost feel myself fanning my face with my handkerchief and weakly muttering "My, my..." under my breath.

So if you are feeling a bit nostalgic for a great little movie, have fun with this, it is a wonderful montage of clips. I was also enchanted with the fact that Jennifer Grey actually truly laughs in this movie. I don't remember the last time I saw such genuine laughter from a female lead. But then again, I don't get out much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll