Poor Me, Literally

So today found us at the Orange County Fair. As a city girl, county fairs are quite fascinating to me. My exposure to chickens and goats and cows is basically limited to these types of things. I wonder if cityfolk are the only ones who gawk at sheep being sheared or herded. Probably quite mundane to people used to being around farm animals.

Actually, one of my favorite parts of the fair is the visual arts exhibit they have, which is made up of photography, paintings, floral arrangements and the like. There is something about the medium of photography that speaks strongly to me. I don't know if it is because I know the things depicted are real, or because I enjoy thinking that it is a moment in time forever frozen.

But whatever the reason, I certainly am reduced to looking at other people's photos, because I suck at taking pictures. Especially with my crappy digital camera, which has a delay of, oh, what seems like thirty freaking seconds before it actually takes the picture. And by that time, inevitably Mr. Personality has moved out of the frame, or he has his back turned, or someone walks into the picture and I wind up getting cut-off body parts in the foreground.

For a very long time I have wanted to take a photography class. Whenever the catalogue for the local community college rolls around, I look at it and see there are perhaps two classes, neither of which I can make. Would taking a class really make me better, though? I am thinking photography is a natural skill, where the person just has an eye for light, color, and composition. I'm not sure it's something you can practice. And I sure as heck don't need to know how to develop film or anything like that, although that is looking to become a lost art.

Now I will poorly segue into why I wrote this post. I fell in love with a photograph. I mean deeply, madly in love with this photograph. It was so beautiful, I felt like I was just sinking into it. I felt like if I had it up above my fireplace, I would be able to take a mini-vacation every time I looked at it. I could not stop thinking about it. I kept staring at it. If I wasn't married already, I would have given it my number.

Luckily for me, it was for sale. It was done by a professional photographer. Unluckily for me, the price was not displayed, it was by request only. Ouch. Usually, if you have to ask, you can't afford it, right? I have the sinking feeling that is going to be the case here. The size of the photograph was very large, and large usually translates into higher price tag.

Soon, the photographer will contact me to let me know the price.

I will stop writing now, as I am going to need all the time I can get practicing my groveling. Because I think the only way I am going afford to get even a copy of this picture is by begging and having him take pity on me.

Well, at least that last part should be pretty easy.

*For those that inquired, I was hesitant to describe the photo because I will in no way do it justice. The subject matter was a field of flowers, I believe irises, or a flower that looks very much like them. Sounds boring, I know. But the colors, the way he included some bent tree trunks in the background, was just so very beautiful. The title of the photo was "Blue," which doesn't help much in descriptive terms, does it? You'll just have to trust me on this one, and I promise to put up a picture if I get lucky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll