Hopefully Continuing the Tradition

So I was told that I began reading at the age of three. Obviously I don't remember, but I do know that whenever I started, I have loved reading ever since. Heck, my degree is in Comparative Literature, and it is impossible to get that type of degree if you dislike books.

I was and am a voracious reader. Not quite as much since Mr. Personality, but give me a good book and I will stay up until one in the morning to finish it. The bargaining for "just til the end of the next chapter" begins around 1130 and by the time 1230 rolls around, I am finishing this book tonight dammit.

I have done my best to impart this love of books to my son. We read all the time together. His aunt is a teacher and uses her discount at Barnes&Noble to buy him books. Shhhh, don't tell, 'k? She's my dealer.

I don't usually brag about Mr. Personality, but I must mark this milestone forever, and since I am much too lazy to do scrapbooks and such, the blog will have to suffice.

HE READ A BOOK ALL ON HIS OWN TODAY! ONE THAT HE HAD NEVER READ BEFORE, SO I KNOW IT WASN'T JUST COMPLETE MEMORIZATION!

Hubba-hubba had taken him to the library and checked out some Clifford the Big Red Dog books. In fact, for posterity's sake it was called, "Hello, Clifford!" Mr. Personality came running to me with it and wanted to read it. It was a simple, learn-to-read level book that I had never seen before. Well, he began reading it out loud, and I sort of assumed they had read the book together at the library. I only had to help him with the very beginning of the word "what" and other than that, he did everything else. He's been sight reading for a while, and I was wondering when it was all going to come together, but never wanted to push him.

When Hubba-hubba came in the room, I told him that Mr. Personality had read the book to me that they had read. Hubba-hubba expressed ignorance of what I was talking about. You know, I said, the Clifford book you guys read together at the library. Well, nothing of the sort had happened, and it was all on his own!

I can't tell you how excited and happy I am. Not because he is so young, or that I think he is so smart. It is just that I fervently hope he can come to adore books the way we do, and find them a pleasure and refuge rather than boring or nerdy. At least I think we've got a good start here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll