Bullseye

So at times I read feminist literature. I can't say that I completely identify with everything they write, but I also can't state that I disagree with many things either. I'm a fence sitter in many ways. Call me gutless, but it seems that injury is more likely to happen while jumping off the fence than while sitting on it. I prefer to remain injury free.

You can breathe a sigh of relief in the knowledge that I have no intention of talking about the so called Mommy Wars or abortion rights or anything of the sort.

I am going to talk about women.

Now, the idea of the "patriarchy" as an abstract, men who wish to keep women unequal and oppose the idea of them advancing in the workplace seems to be not wholly invalid to me.

But feminists, to me, always seem to be pointing the finger at men. Look at the men, look at what the men are doing, the men, the men, the men.

Seriously.

I'd like to pose an idea that is probably not very popular. Because I am going to point the finger at women.

I'd never thought of it this way until I became the mother of a boy. As his mother, I feel extremely responsible for his upbringing, and naturally so.

If my son turns out to be a misogynist of some kind, or even someone who just generally puts women down, don't I have myself to blame in a lot of ways?

As his mother, why would I allow him to grow up with such misinformation or unkindness in his heart? And for those that would blame the father, as his mother, why would I choose a mate that espoused those kinds of views? Would I not be at least equally to blame for my son turning out to be a lout?

What do you think?

I think I just hurt myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache