It's All About Meme

So I was tagged by one of the only blogging men in my life, Anvilcloud over at Raindrops. If you have never stopped by his place, definitely swing by. His photography is beautiful, and his recipe for Sweet Potato Soup is still up.

1: Black and White or Color; how do you prefer your movies?

Alas, spoiled child of Technicolor that I am, I have never really seen many b&w movies. I think I romanticize b&w movies for some reason, even though I haven't seen all that many. One of the only ones that comes to mind is "It Happened One Night" which I was forced to watch in a film appreciation class I took in college.

And yes, I did learn some things in college, thank you.


2: What is the one single subject that bores you to near-death?

Algebra. I was forced to take Algebra I and Algebra II in high school, and I don't think the glassy expression ever left my eyes once I entered the room. All those numbers, just sort of whirling around with no proper sense of direction, at least on my paper. I just cannot make my mind think the way you need to think for that subject, and I gave up trying perhaps a month into the class. Which my grades certainly reflected.


3: MP3s, CDs, Tapes or Records: what is your favorite medium for prerecorded music?

Well, this is an interesting one, as I was waxing nostalgic the other day at my parents house as they vainly tried to relocate all my vinyl records that I had during middle and high school. I thought about how we used to gently put the record on the turntable, and since my father expressly forbade us to move the needle once it was on the record, we had to sit and listen to pretty much the whole album.

That being said, with the use of iTunes, iPods or other MP3 playing devices, nothing beats the sound quality and convenience of MP3's.

Heck, right now Mr. Personality's favorite song is the iTunes remix of U2's "Two Hearts (Beat as One)" and I didn't mind playing it ten times in a row since it was as easy as a right click.


4: You are handed one first class trip plane ticket to anywhere in the world and ten million dollars cash. All of this is yours provided that you leave and not tell anyone where you are going … ever. This includes family, friends, everyone. Would you take the money and ticket and run?


I would never even entertain the thought for all the money in the world.


5: Seriously, what do you consider the world's most pressing issue now?

Global warming. When I think of some people's reaction to global warming, I am reminded of an old joke.

There was a flood, and an old man was stuck on his rooftop. (I know, unfortunate Katrina images, but I am going to stick with it. But it is somewhat fitting as hurricanes of the intensity of Katrina are predicted to get more and more common as the situation gets worse) He said, "I am putting my life in God's Hands. If it is His will that I survive this flood, He will show me a sign and save me."

An inner tube floats by. He sees it, but insists that God is going to save him. A boat with rescuers tries to persuade him to get in, but he knows that the Lord will reach out His hand. The floodwaters continue to rise. A helicopter swings by, a rope dangling for him to hold. He will not grab it, and remains steadfast that God will save him. The water finally rises, and unfortunately, the man cannot stay afloat.

As the man enters the Pearly Gates, he sees God, and exclaims in surprise that He did not save him. God replied, "I sent you an inner tube, a boat, and a helicopter! How many more signs did you want?"

Exactly how many signs do people need to begin to be concerned?


6: How would you rectify the world's most pressing issue?

Impeach Bush, with his Big Oil and Saudi royal family ties. I am well aware that those things are not impeachable crimes, but they are what is keeping us from signing the Kyoto pact. With him in office, nothing will be done until 2008 at the very earliest. It makes me sad that a handful of men are willing to sell out the futures of their own grandchildren so that they can add another million or so to their bank accounts.

I think the wiretapping stuff is a pretty good place to start on the impeachment issue. To my mind, the Nixon Administration's got nothing on these guys.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety-Benjamin Franklin

Well Ben, I'm not one of them.


7: You are given the chance to go back and change one thing in your life; what would that be?

I think it would have to be that I never said a proper goodbye to my maternal grandfather. He had a heart attack, and was transported to the hospital. I was in 9th grade. I went to see him only once there. My mother the nurse did not prep me for the visit at all, so I did not know what to expect. He frightened me, with his unblinking stare at the ceiling, his wires and monitors, and his unresponsiveness. I could not bring myself to speak. I never held his dear hand or kissed his wrinkled cheek for the last time, and I regret my weakness and selfishness to this day.


8: You are given the chance to go back and change one event in world history, what would that be?

That is such a hard question, because who knows what the domino effect would be, even if it seemed like a worthy thing.

I am going to go on a limb and say that I would stop Hitler's rise to power. This is complicated because it was actually partly America's and the rest of Europe's fault for placing such sanctions on Germany after WWI. Oh, maybe I would let him write "Mein Kampf" but it would wind up being a huge flop and he would be ridiculed and live the rest of his life on a dairy farm raising cows.


9: A night at the opera, or a night at the Grand Ole Opry: which do you choose?

I loathe country music, so this is a no-brainer. I think I would choose almost any form of musical theater before the Opry.


10: What is the one great unsolved crime of all time you'd like to solve?

You know, the one where all the people are trapped on the Orient Express... Wait, that was an Agatha Christie novel and Poirot got his man. Hmmmmm...

How about Jack the Ripper?


11: One famous author can come to dinner with you. Who would that be, and what would you serve for the meal?

I am going to have to choose Mark Twain. He possessed so much wit and quick thinking that even though he would probably make me the butt of half his jokes, I would still slather over every word.

And as for the meal, I would take him to one of those hoity-toity restaurants where they serve you things like a leek and foie gras puree, adorned with a lone brine shimp and ligonberry sauce swirled in arty circles around it. I would love to hear what he thought about that type of cuisine.


12: You discover that John Lennon was right, that there is no hell below us, and above us there is only sky — what's the first immoral thing you might do to celebrate this fact?

Believe me, I have pondered the thought that he was right many a time.

Sadly, I just don't have much immoral behavior in me no matter what the consequences in the afterlife. Perhaps steal some See's candy? That's the best I've got, people.

I will refrain from tagging, but if you like what you see, feel free.

Comments

chichimama said…
I haven't seen this one before! It's thought provoking. Thanks!
Anvilcloud said…
We're on the same page wrt the most pressing problem. But what's a little heat, the occasional drought, kiler storms, and the melting of the ice caps, you sapless little liberal?
Gina said…
Damn you Suzanne! No one was ever supposed to find out!

LMAO!

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache