Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back

So I consider myself a hot off the presses type of gal. Oh sure, while I am putting Mr. Personality to bed, topics roll around in my brain. I try to think of interesting things that happened in my day, and usually since it consists mostly of fulfilling the needs of an almost-three-year-old, I don't have that much variety. Onto broader topics I go, and I try to guess what my "core" audience will want to hear about. All five of you. I love you guys.

Anyway, so I sit down at the computer, usually with a caffeine-free Diet Coke somewhere near at hand. Snacks are optional, it depends on the time of night. I look for a second at the box I am supposed to type in, take a deep breath, and start typing. Sometimes it is what I planned on writing, sometimes it is something completely different.

Usually my better posts are ones that are not particularly planned. I know when I cast about for five minutes on the perfect wording for a sentence, that I am in some serious trouble. The good ones just flow out of me, and I am finished in less than 20 minutes or so with the main writing. I have the hardest time coming up with an ending that is satisfactory to me. When I am truly desperate, I will go for a meme of some kind, and I am pretty sure I am not alone in that regard.

I never have any drafts in the wings. I have no idea why, I just like writing whatever comes to mind.

My normal M.O. is to go back and check for spelling errors, mostly. I type probably about 75 words a minute, and sometimes my brain gets a bit ahead of my fingers. Three drafts is the absolute maximum. I will perhaps effect a slight change in wording, fix any repetitious phrases, occasionally check a fact or add a link, and I click that lovely orange button.

At about midnight while I am trying to fall asleep, I will think of the most wonderful way I should have written half of these sentences. "Dangit" I will invariably say to myself, "why didn't I think of that while I was at the keyboard?" I never get up and change it, I am simply too lazy. It will haunt me for a while, that my five readers will have missed that perfectly clarified thought. But, usually I'll fall asleep within ten minutes, so maybe it doesn't bother me as much as I thought.

For better or worse, that is how it goes. My personal theory is that people either think I am fairly amusing or that I am a pompous ass. But really, the two are not mutually exclusive, so it's probably both.

Comments

Cuppa said…
I seem to always find a tasty morsel here and enjoy it when I open the wrapper to see what you have for me each morning.

Haven't asked for my money back yet, and I always come back for more.
Anvilcloud said…
I operate somewhat like you do except I usually have the germ of an idea but don't really know what I'm going to say. There are others, like the previous commenter, whoever she is, who let an idea simmer for quite a while bother before they beging writing and after they have put a draft together.
Melodee said…
I adore everything you write and think you are brilliant. So keep on!
Gina said…
Wow, well I really thought all I was doing was putting up a mundane post about my writing style, but I am humbled and grateful for the lovely comments.

Seriously, I do love all of you guys!
Suzanne said…
Something else to write about -- tag!

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache