There's not Much I Can do About it

So it has been hot enough here for the past few days to remind me of my old nemesis. It always comes in warm weather, and there is nothing I can do to avoid it.

I'm talking about sweat, people.

Yes, sweat. We all do it, not many of us like it. I hate it. Yes, yes, I know it is the body's natural way of cooling itself off when it is overheated, blah blah blah. That doesn't mean I have to like it. I know that the house being cleaned is a task that must occur, and I don't like that either.

I probably live in the wrong geographical area for a person who dislikes sweating. I should be living up North or something, but as luck would have it, I am here for the long run. I suppose I could be somewhere much much worse, such as Florida.

I will never forget our trip to Disneyworld. We planned it for October, foolishly thinking that the heat and humidity would be long gone by then. My life being my life, a freak heat wave struck unseasonably that year in mid-October. I would wake up in the hotel room, mercifully cooled by an efficient air conditioner. I would dress carefully, put my hair up, and open the door ready to begin the day's adventures. Within approximately three minutes, I was dripping and might as well not have bothered with the shower. I have absolutely no idea how people in areas with high humidity can stand living there.

Another bad thing is to be stuck in the sun at a baseball stadium. Now I know why the majority of games are played at night. Once at Dodger stadium we sat the entire game in the hot sun of July, with nary a breeze. I could feel the sweat sliding down my face, my back, and there was not a damn thing I could do about it. Sure, we would try and hang out where the concession stands were, but we had awesome seats, and wanted to actually watch the game.

When I was younger, I don't remember the art of sweating to have such an adverse effect on me. Perhaps I was in better shape, and my body cooled itself off without being totally obnoxious about it. Maybe I should go out and buy myself one of those hats with the fan inside. I wouldn't look too stupid, would I? If Hubba-hubba insists, I wouldn't mind walking a few steps behind, to save him from the embarassment. Even so, it just might be worth it.

Comments

Cuppa said…
Oh I hear you hunny! I not only sweat, I drip! Literally. The sweat runs down my face and drips off the end of my nose, and into my eyes stinging like crazy. Not bad when you are on a tennis court or in an exercise class, but it is very disconcerting when you are trying to talk intelligently to someone in a store or other place.

Menopause with all the added hot flashes was hell for me and thankfully the worst has past, but I still get that "dewey look" as AC says, when the temperatures start to rise. We have central air, I have fans blowing in the hall just outside the bathroom, and I still can't get my face dry enough to put make up on. So, I can't wear make-up at all in the summer. I use self tanner to get me through without looking too pasty faced and sick during the hot months. Sigh!

The nice thing about riding our bikes is that the wind air dries my face as we pedal along. Tee hee.

Anyway, must run. Busy day ahead. Thanks for the wishes for a nice trip. Talk to you next week.
Heather Plett said…
Oh man, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I'm a HUGE sweater too (no, not a "sweater" with sleeves and a neck-hole, but a "sweater" with drops coming off my forehead, dripping into my eyes, etc., etc.). Not only do I sweat like a horse (most people say "sweat like a pig" but that's erroneous because pigs don't sweat, and horses sweat like crazy!), but whenever I've had any kind of exertion, my face turns beat red. So people think I must be DYING with all that sweat dripping from a glowing red face. I know, it's not a pretty picture.

And believe me, even here in the cold north, we get summers hot enough to bring out the sweat in me. So you wouldn't be safe, even here.
Suzanne said…
I also hate to sweat and I live in a high humidity area. To add insult to injury, the humidity makes my hair frizz. Summer is not my favorite season!

Air conditioning and nighttime baseball rock.

Suzanne

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll