The Found Weekend

So, husband and I decided to go to Universal CityWalk for a movie and to hang out on our babysitting extravaganza day. For those of you unfamiliar, CityWalk is an eclectic collection of shops, restaurants, movie theater, and other forms of entertainment just outside the gates of the Universal Studios backlot tour. There are many things to see and do there, people watching not being the least.

Universal City is quite a ways from where we are, and Sunday was a great day to drive through LA. I have not been down the 101 that far in probably close to three years, and I was struck by how much more graffiti there was in and around downtown than I remember.

We ate a mediocre meal at The Daily Grill. The waitress did not serve us a basket of bread, and upon asking for it, I was told it was given "by request only." What the hell is that? So the poor schmos who have never been there before, read tourists, get shafted on a couple of pieces of bread because they don't know they have to flippin ask for it? What is the world coming to that a restaurant chain would be that dorky?

We saw "The Incredibles" and Pixar has again made a very, very good movie. As a Disney shareholder, I say shame on Michael Eisner for messing that one up.

We then walked around the stores, and had the obligatory celebrity sighting. It seems every time I go to CityWalk, I have seen someone, usually a B lister, but still... This time it was Topher Grace, from "That 70's Show." He's the boyish son of Red and Kitty. As native Angelenos, we did not call attention to him, even though he knew we recognized him. He had a look of relief on his face when I did not point a finger at him and say his name loudly, I just gave him the nod and went about my business.

We decided at that point to go to Bob's Big Boy in Burbank for dinner. On the way out of the parking structure, we notice that a beautiful sunset was beginning. We pulled into a spot, and had a great view of the entire San Fernando Valley, including the Warner Brothers Studio and backlot almost right below us.

At Bob's, which is a SoCal institution, we ran into our wedding photograper, of all people. Moses is the staff photographer for Universal Studios, and he lives right in the area. We have done some work with him after the wedding, but it was still a little surreal to see him, since we haven't been out that way in years.

After dinner, we made an aborted attempt to see if we could get up to Griffith Observatory, even though it is currently being remodeled. We turned the wrong way on Vermont, and we were having such an animated conversation that we didn't notice we were going the wrong way until we hit the 10.

We went to Best Buy and bought some CD's for ourselves, Flogging Molly for him and the Goo Goo Dolls for me.

Dessert brought us to Claim Jumper and a fabulous Cookie Sundae. We then rolled ourselves home to find that our son was still awake. Husband put him down as I chatted with my sister.

All in all, it was great to rediscover that my husband and I still get along. We have been a little strained lately with little to no babysitting, and it showed in our daily bickering. I love my husband dearly, and there is no better way to celebrate your anniversary than with your best friend.

Comments

Melodee said…
Sounds like a great day!
Gina said…
Darryl, your husband says "I still love you, and always will".

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache