Not My Idea of a Vacation

I was talking to one of our neighbors yesterday.

She and her family had been on vacation for a week or so, and although I knew they were gone, I didn't know where.

I asked if they had enjoyed their vacation, and she said, oh yes, but it was so hot where they went that they could only swim in the pool at night. 

Oh, that is a bummer, I said.

She then went on to explain that they were sharing a timeshare condo with another couple who have children around their daughter's age.

I know this other family, they used to live down the street until their house was foreclosed upon and they obviously had to move somewhere else. That somewhere else happened to be not too far from here and so both of the families hang out together from time to time.

I've never been too big a fan of the matriarch of the family that had to move.  She has always struck me as a fairly bitter person.  I don't think I have ever seen her give a smile that reaches her eyes.  I always said hello when I saw her around, but I certainly never made any effort to get to know her.

So my neighbor tells me that it was a pretty good time, and their co-vacationers only had one screaming match, so that was not too bad for them.  Usually when they vacation together, they have multiple fights containing screaming, door slamming, someone leaving, etc., etc...

Needle scratch time.

Now it is just me, or would you NEVER vacation with someone like that? 

Not only would it make me extremely uncomfortable to hear all of that going on, because hello, sharing a home, I certainly wouldn't want my children to be exposed to that either.

Not to mention the drama of the aftermath where each spouse has to affirm to the other family's spouse about yeah, they are right, and hey, it's OK and you guys will get through it and whatever other kind of crap you have to say to someone who feels it is perfectly FINE to put you in that type of situation.

Seriously, is it just me?

Comments

Awesome Mom said…
No, no it is not just you. Honestly I would not really want to vacation with anyone I was not related to by blood or marriage and even that is up to how irritating the person or people are.
Anvilcloud said…
Not just you. That is not a vacation. I'd rather have a staycation.
J said…
I cannot imagine. Once would be a mistake, but if it usually happened? No way.

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache