Circle Time Sucks

I have a son who apparently does not like school.

I don't know if it is the routine of going every day that he doesn't like, or if, as he tells me "It's boring." Or what.

But one of my worst nightmares has already come true.

My son is very bright, he was reading at three, taught himself simple addition, and in general is an outgoing, happy child.

But he comes home from school whining about how boring circle time was, or that he didn't have a good day, and I'm starting to get frustrated.

I don't think it is the teacher. She has been teaching for over twenty years, and is just a lovely woman who enjoys all of her students, making sure to hug them hello and goodbye and talk to them indvidually before they leave for the day. Last week when I told her that Mr. P was reluctant to come to school, which was on a Wednesday, I found out that she had told him that if he came to school for two more days that he would get two days off. Tell me that's not a pro! She said that he doesn't show any boredom or acting out, and gets along with all the other kids, so we are both sort of puzzled.

I feel like telling him, hey buddy, get used to it, this is the rest of your life! But another part of me wonders if the class is moving too slowly for him. They are doing letter recognition, and he can already read! What he needs is to focus on the finer points, the "ph" sound and the "ie" and all those tricky little letter combos that aren't readily solved just by looking at them.

My sister, who teaches the gifted portion of her grade level and has taught gifted children for ten years, has said that he exhibits gifted characteristics, although of course it is too early to say for sure. I wonder, though, if I am already shortchanging him by not having him in a more challenging program. I would love to put him in Montessori, which I think would best fit his mindset and learning style, but I balk at the HUGE price tag. I mean, it's pre-kindergarten and I would be paying upwards of six grand a year. Ouch.

So in the meantime, we will see how the year progresses. But it's only October.

I think it's gonna be a long year.

Aren't only people with older kids supposed to say that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache