A Good Doctor Can Change Your Life

Today, I didn't slog home from my endocrinologist visit, paltry prescription in hand.

No, today I met with a new doctor. I was so frustrated with my old one, who showed no concern at all for my consternation at being "uncured" for a year and a half. People, that is a long time, especially for this condition. To say that he was on the conservative side of treatment would be a complete understatement.

My new doctor is around my age. She is a woman. And at the end of the visit, I wanted to throw my arms around her and tell her that I loved her. She listened to me and my frustration, she talked to me, not at me. I told her that I was supposed to have had a baby, like, a year and a half ago, and what my concerns were about my thyroid function levels and their effects on fetal development. She gave me a very thorough and detailed explanation of the situation, based on the latest medical studies, and we determined that I need to be at least one point lower. You don't have to understand what that means, it just means my thyroid needs a lot more help than it is currently getting.

She jumped up my dosage pretty high, and switched me from the generic brand of synthetic hormone that I am on to the "designer" version, with the thought that per pill, the dose tends to be a little stronger. She totally understood my "need for speed" and said that our goal was to get my TSH levels (which is the main one that controls thyroid function, although there are a couple other ones that come into play) where they needed to be for me to be able to get pregnant by the end of April, if not sooner.

For the first time in a long time, I have some hope. And boy, did I need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache