Extra Cheese, Please

I went grocery shopping today BY MYSELF after I dropped Mr. P off at school. I was indeed contemplating my purchases as I strolled the aisles, so perhaps there is something to the theory of a more pleasant shopping experience without a four year old in tow.

I enjoy my Vons, and it has recently been remodeled. They did it up nice and fancy, with marble floors, a hearth oven for baking bread, and even a gourmet olive bar. I'm not sure where they got the idea for that one, and so far I think I have seen all of one person standing at it. And even then, I didn't even see her purchasing any olives, just looking.

I was pushing my cart and having a rather heated mental debate with myself on buying Baked Lay's or Rice Cakes. Then, a song came on over the new, concert quality speakers of the PA system and I almost broke out into the chorus. Oh Gina, you are thinking, it must have been some sort of rockin' 80's song, because we all know the time warp you are stuck in. Well my friends, go back about a decade and that's where the songs came from.

I will admit to also having a love affair with those totally cheesy 70's love songs. When I was a teenager I would listen to a station here called KOST, and every single night from 8 to midnight they would play "love songs" and "dedications" while reading letters from lovelorn or lovestruck people, depending. I made a point to sometimes drive around at night, blasting the music, and sometimes wiping a tear or two out of my eyes if I was in a stage of unrequited love. There was something so cathartic about it that I look back on those days very fondly. Then again, I have been known to cry at radio commercials, so I guess it doesn't really take much to get me going.

And maybe, just maybe, I took my time at the grocery store today.

Gerry Rafferty- Baker Street


Doobie Brothers-What a Fool Believes


The Hollies-The Air That I Breathe


Paul Davis-I Go Crazy (apparently the karaoke version)


Robert John- Sad Eyes (seriously, this guy is so lip-synching)


Player- Baby Come Back (check the hair!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache