Saturday Soapbox

I'm not done talking about global warming, because unless you are living underneath some sort of rock, you had to have heard about the global warming report issued by the United Nations.

This is not a drill.

Although I have to admit, I am tired of trying to convince people who don't want to be convinced.

It reminds me of an old joke, and I've written this before, but it bears repeating.

There was a flood, and an old man was stuck on his rooftop. He said, "I am putting my life in God's Hands. If it is His will that I survive this flood, He will show me a sign and save me."

An inner tube floats by. He sees it, but insists that God is going to save him. A boat with rescuers tries to persuade him to get in, but he knows that the Lord will reach out His hand. The floodwaters continue to rise. A helicopter swings by, a rope dangling for him to hold. He will not grab it, and remains steadfast that God will save him. The water finally rises, and unfortunately, the man cannot stay afloat.

As the man enters the Pearly Gates, he sees God, and exclaims in surprise that He did not save him. God replied, "I sent you an inner tube, a boat, and a helicopter! How many more signs did you want?"

Exactly how many signs do people need to begin to be concerned? If you are not concerned for yourself, be concerned about the world your children and grandchildren stand to inherit. Sometimes, I despair of anyone actually getting of their asses and doing anything in this country, I really do. You can start by at least changing to flourescent compact bulbs. Listen, I didn't like the difference between those and regular lights, either, but is it worth tons of carbon being emitted in the air so that I can be more comfortable with the shade of lighting in my home? Could people be more overprivileged? Oy, I get an ulcer just thinking about it.

Go here to calculate your personal impact upon global warming. My personal CO2 emssions equal 4.65 tons a year, which is lower than the average 7.5 tons.

What is your score? And if it is higher than average, what are you going to do about it? Yes, I'm being obnoxious, but I am only wanting an inhabitable world for my future grandchildren. And for them, I will do anything, which includes bullying people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll