Sunday Song Flashback

Music is a big part of my life, and I find that I don't really talk about it that much on this blog, possibly fearing that I will cause people to shun me for my musical tastes. I have what could be called eclectic taste. At least, that is the polite term, isn't it?

Well, the era of silence is over.

I am thrilled to bring you Sunday Song Flashbacks, where I share some of my favorite songs with you, my non-judgemental friends. I will be mining the depths of YouTube, finding for you gems which you may or may not have heard before, but which resonate with me in some way.

For my inaugural song, I have chosen "Ah Leah!" by Donnie Iris. Yes, yes, I know you probably have never heard of him. But, this is a song that I can easily play four times in a row on my iPod and never get tired of hearing it. Ok, well, maybe after the fifth time I'm ready to move on, but the point is that I LOVE this song. And, I have to admit, I never even knew there was a video for this until last week.

Which is actually probably a good thing, as you are about to see. You know how you picture a singer or band in your mind? Well, suffice it to say, even in my wildest dreams, I never thought Donnie Iris looked like this.

To be fair, this was made in the early 80's, when videos were not quite the marketing tool they turned into a few years later. They were mostly made for the benefit of the record companies. Reflecting on this video, I'm unsure of why he wanted the record companies to see this, but I have to give him major points for self-confidence. Say what you want about Donnie Iris, but the man has confidence to spare. And that my friends, can be sexy. Forget the hair and the glasses and the suit, just focus on the confidence.

A few things to look for, in order of appearance, in what is possibly the cheapest music video ever produced:

-Notice how he shoves the photographer (probably his brother or something to avoid having to pay someone) aside. I'm betting there isn't even film in the camera, too expensive.
-I didn't know pantaloons were popular in the 80's, but this lady clearly gives them a new lease on their fashion life.
-The convincing camera angles where we actually feel as if we are her, looking out from our heavily frosted eyebrow arches at Donnie.
-The guy isn't too bad at acting, don't you think?
-I'm not sure why at one point the photographer gets upset with them, but perhaps he is just showing outward frustration with the yellow/pink color combination hurting his eyes.
-I love it when he begins bouncing.
-When we see the forlorn Donnie reflections in the inexplicably black mirror, just know that you are listening to almost 400 Donnies singing. They dubbed his voice over as many times as the audiotapes back then could hold. I adore this effect, it haunts me.
-The man deserves some kind of an award for his convincing, outstretched hand "Ah's!"
-People, he isn't even playing the guitar solo!
-And the progessive strip? Pure genius!
-Is there a reason they are throwing their clothes up in the air, or is it just a "special effect?" They spared no expense here.
-Wait, where did her jacket go? Why did he get all his clothes back but not her?
-"I can touch you, but I don't know how to love you." Why did this song not win some kind of award for songwriting?
-I totally dig the "Never gonna make it yeah..." Seriously, I read that he is considered one of the best "screamers" in rock.
- Why? Why can they not be together? Dozens of Donnies pining for the dozens of Leahs, but separated by dark, mirrored hallways. They are unable to find each other, and the tragedy is too much for me to bear. They just weren't meant to be. Excuse me, I need to go and find a hankie.

This video definitely falls into the "so bad, it's good" category. And move over George Clooney, I think there's a new man at the top of my list. You know the one I'm talking about.


-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll