It Wasn't All in His Mind

During Christmas vacation, Mr. Personality kept nattering (I love that word, don't you?) on about having one of his friends from school to come and play at our house. He had dropped hints that he and David were good buddies, but sometimes I don't believe half of the things he says. When he very seriously tells me that he is a policeman and that he daily rounds up the bad kids and puts them in jail, you can't really blame me, can you?

So, I resolved to see if the wish for a playdate was a passing fancy or something he really wanted. On the first day back at school after vacation, Mr. P came roaring into the house (as Dad had gone to pick him up) shouting, "David is right behind me!" I expressed confusion, and he said that they had planned for David's mommy to follow Mr. P home so that they could see where we live. I hated to break the news that David's mommy probably didn't have any idea she was supposed to do such a thing, nor would she do it even if she did.

Much loud disappointment ensued, but I wanted to wait just a little bit longer. After the next school day, Mr. Personality sidled up to me, and told me he had an idea. I asked him what it was, and he casually mentioned that we could go to Target and buy David a carseat so that we could take him home with us after school.

Ok then.

I had been a little hesitant to arrange anything for a couple of reasons. One was that I am new to this kind of "talk to a stranger about their kid coming to my house, or vice versa" thing. Second, the school passes out a contact list of other families in the class, but David's family had opted out, so I had no phone number. Third, I have to admit that I agonized a bit that Mr. P was pushing the whole thing, and perhaps David was not as enthusastic at the idea. Because, uh, like his mom, he is not really known for his retiring persona.

I decided to write a little note on some of my prettiest stationery and leave it for David's mom, since we never seem to arrive at the same time and I wanted to make sure that she got it. And, perhaps I didn't want to put her on the spot.

Well, so much for my noble intentions, because I happened to arrive just as she was leaving, and I breathlessly explained the situation. I told her the card in my hand was for her, but that I was basically saying everything in the card, except my phone number was in it. She seemed not at all taken aback by my assault, and assured me that David had also expressed that he wanted to play with Mr. P.

You know, my son is four years old, but I still have so many situations that are going to come up that I have never had to deal with before. In normal social situations I am fine, but when it comes to these mom things, God help me. I keep thinking there is some unwritten motherly etiquitte that I don't know about and that I've got it all wrong. How does everybody do it? It's completely nerve-wracking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll