I Know You've Read This a Hundred Times Already, But Bear With Me

Awesome Mom tagged me for this, and I am happy to play!

1. Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog?

Now lets' think for a second. Hot, chocolatey goodness or weird frothy drink that remimds me of mouthwash? No contest, my friends.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Santa has always, always wrapped presents. What's the fun of just seeing the stuff under the tree? With kids, the anticipation of opening the wrapping is what it's all about.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

White and white. Although, with the very cool LED lights, they have some very groovy colors, and next year I may just cave and do like a gold and purple thing outside. Sweet.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

No. I only really have one appropriate place to hang it (IMHO) and that would require taping it to the archway, which would look horrifically tacky.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Whenever I can convince McScrooge to go with me to get a tree. He refuses to take the Christmas stuff down in installments, so unless I want to be crawling over boxes in the garage to get to the car, it is pretty much all done in one or two days.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?

Hmmm, last year my sister started making filet mignon for Christmas dinner, and she is doing it again this year, so I'm going to vote for that. Not many people's idea of a Christmas dinner, but I dare anyone but a vegetarian to dislike it.

7. Favorite Holiday memory?

Man, when I was a kid, Christmas was like, an entire two day production. We would go to one Grandma's house on Christmas Eve, open presents and eat, go to Midnight Mass, wake up and open presents in the morning at our house, and then have Christmas dinner at my other Grandmother's. Whew. That makes me tired just thinking about it. Although now we do something very similar with Mr. P, minus the Midnight Mass.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I do not remember. I think my suspicions came early, because we didn't have a chimney, and my parent's lame explanation that he had a key and came in the back door just didn't quite convince me. It was just waaay too pedestrian for Santa to just waltz in through the back door. Where was the magic? Add to that my sister being so much older than me, and I maybe believed in Santa for all of two years. There is no mental anguish about it that I can think of, though.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

I open lots of gifts on Christmas Eve.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

Well, I have mostly older glass ornaments in various shapes and colors, as well as some truly ugly ornaments that my mother gave me when I had none. Those go in back. And in lieu of tinsel or garland, I use sparkly gold wire-edged ribbon.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?

What's snow? ;)

12. Can you ice skate?

Listen, living my entire life in Southern California, a person really had to go out of their way to learn how to ice skate. Some shopping centers set up little ice rinks around this time, and I have been on them a few times, but I would never say that I knew how to ice skate. My ankles always wobble.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

I'm going to say it was probably a Barbie when I was a kid.

14. What's the most important thing?

Family. Gotta love 'em.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

My mother's Christmas cookies. Especially the thumbprint cookies, which literally melt into buttery goodness in your mouth.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

After my Oma, who was born and raised in Germany until she came to the States after WWII, died we began doing a German feast on Christmas Eve to honor her memory as Christmas was her favorite time. So we have spaetzle, German meats and cold cuts, bratwurst and the like, German potato salad and all kinds of German goodies. It is a fairly new tradition as far as traditions go, but it's one we all love.

17. What tops your tree?

A glittery gold star.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?

Is it politically incorrect to say receiving? Yeah, everybody says giving, but really I like both. Hey, at least I'm being honest.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

I cannot narrow it to just one! For a traditional song, "O Holy Night" when sung by the right choir can send shivers up my spine. For a newer song, it's gotta be "Do They Know It's Christmas" by, you guessed it, Band Aid!

20. Candy canes, Yuck or Yum?

I think I used to like them better when I was a kid, but they are pretty good, especially when plunked into cookies or ice cream or fudge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll