Meme Me Some Music

It's the end of the week my friends. I have had better weeks, to be sure. Both my body and mind are urging me to sit on the couch with the new library book that I have, since it is a fourteen-day loaner, and I only have eight left. I haven't even finished the first quarter, so I'd best get moving.

What does Gina resort to when her mind begins to drift? A meme, of course. This one is a music meme that did the rounds oh-so-long ago, and I remember seeing it at APL's ages and ages ago, but I found it by googling. I realize that I have made somebody mad by using that as a verb, but it's Friday, and I'm not really sure I care. I care sort of, does that make you feel better? Also, because I am not going to reference the blog I lifted the rules from, does that mean I must go straight to blogger hell?

I found the top 100 songs from the year of my high school graduation, which was 1989. I will strike through the songs I hate, leave the ones that I am ok with, and bold the ones I really like. Here goes:

1. Look Away, Chicago Gah, I haven't liked Chicago for years.
2. My Prerogative, Bobby Brown Get used to this for him.
3. Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Poison Make the hair bands go away!
4. Straight Up, Paula Abdul I'm a little embarassed.
5. Miss You Much, Janet Jackson
6. Cold Hearted, Paula Abdul Bizarre video I also hated.
7. Wind Beneath My Wings, Bette Midler I know, there is some rule that you must love this song and dedicate it to someone, but I can't stand it.
8. Girl You Know Its True, Milli Vanilli
9. Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird, Will To Power
10. Giving You The Best That I Got, Anita Baker I really love her voice.
11. Right Here Waiting, Richard Marx I don't know why.
12. Waiting For A Star To Fall, Boy Meets Girl
13. Lost In Your Eyes, Debbie Gibson Never got the big deal about her.
14. Don't Wanna Lose You, Gloria Estefan
15. Heavan, Warrant The hair bands were such an East Coast thing.
16. Girl I'm Gonna Miss You, Milli Vanilli
17. The Look, Roxette I think everyone else liked it better than me, but it was ok.
18. She Drives Me Crazy, Fine Young Cannibals
19. On Our Own, Bobby Brown Look at all these hits and he has no money now!
20. Two Hearts, Phil Collins Too sappy, even for him.
21. Blame It On The Rain, Milli Vanilli It was wrong, but it felt so right.
22. Listen To Your Heart, Roxette
23. I'll Be There For You, Bon Jovi Nope.
24. If You Don't Know Me By Now, Simply Red
25. Like A Prayer, Madonna
26. I'll Be Loving You (Forever), New Kids On The Block HATED NKOTB.
27. How Can I Fall?, Breathe
28. Baby Don't Forget My Number, Milli Vanilli Didn't one of these guys die? Seriously.
29. Toy Solider, Martika Meh.
30. Forever Your Girl, Paula Abdul
31. The Living Years, Mike and the Mechanics Who didn't sing "Say it loud, say it clear" at the top of your lungs while sobbing? Who?
32. Eternal Flame, The Bangles One of their more annoying ones.
33. Wild Thing, Tone Loc
34. When I See You Smile, Bad English
35. If I Could Turn Back Time, Cher My god, was I in high school when this came out?
36. Buffalo Stance, Neneh Cherry LOVE Neneh Cherry. That whole CD rocks.
37. When I'm With You, Sheriff Iffy.
38. Don't Rush Me, Taylor Dayne She bugged me.
39. Born To Be My Baby, Bon Jovi
40. Good Thing, Fine Young Cannibals
41. The Lover In Me, Sheena Easton I don't really remember this song, but I don't care enough to go looking for it to make sure.
42. Bust A Move, Young M.C.
43. Once Bitten, Twice Shy, Great White Gah.
44. Batdance, Prince I like Prince, but not this song.
45. Rock On, Michael Damian
46. Real Lov, Jody Watley Where has she disappeared to?
47. Love Shack, B-52's
48. Every Little Step, Bobby Brown
49. Hangin' Tough, New Kids On The Block
50. My Heart Can't Tell You No, Rod Stewart
51. So Alive, Love and Rockets Sweet.
52. You Got It (The Right Stuff), New Kids On The Block
53. Armageddon It, Def Leppard Say it to my face, huh?
54. Satisfied, Richard Marx
55. Express Yourself, Madonna
56. I Like It, Dino
57. Soldier Of Love, Donny Osmond My eyes almost popped out of my head when I read this. Donny Osmond had a hit in 89? For sure I didn't like it.
58. Sowing The Seeds Of Love, Tears For Fears
59. Cherish, Madonna
60. When The Children Cry, White Lion When will the pain stop?
61. 18 And Life, Skid Row I nominate it for crappiest song of 89.
62. I Don't Want Your Love, Duran Duran Did you expect differently?
63. Second Chances, .38 Special
64. The Way You Love Me, Karyn White Errrm, don't know this one either.
65. Funky Cold Medina, Tone Loc C'mon, you know it makes you wanna dance.
66. In Your Room, Bangles
67. Miss You Like Crazy, Natalie Cole I like Natalie Cole, but this song was a bit too screechy and theatrical for me.
68. Love Song, Cure
69. Secret Rendesvous, Karyn White
70. Angel Eyes, Jeff Healey Band
71. Patience, Guns N' Roses Axl Rose sux.
72. Walk On Water, Eddie Money For some strange reason, I like Eddie Money.
73. Cover Girl, New Kids On The Block These guys were everywhere.
74. Welcom To The Jungle, Guns N' Roses He still sux.
75. Shower Me With Your Love, Surface Help me.
76. Stand, R.E.M.
77. Close My Eyes Forever, Lita Ford She reminds me a lot of Courtney Love, for some reason.
78. All This Time, Tiffany
79. After All, Cher and Peter Cetera
80. Roni, Bobby Brown I am getting more and more bitter as this list goes on.
81. Love In An Elevator, Aerosmith I never understood what he was saying when he said "In tha el, in tha el." Duh.
82. Lay Your Hands On Me, Bon Jovi Thompson Twins, yes. Bon Jovi, no.
83. This Promise, When In Rome
84. What I Am, Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians
85. I Remember Holding You, Boys Club
86. Paradise City, Guns N' Roses I loathe this song, yet I know each and every word.
87. I wanna Have Some Fun, Samantha Fox
88. She Wants To Dance With Me, Rick Astley
89. Dreamin', Vanessa Williams She totally rocks as Wilhemina on "Ugly Betty."
90. It's No Crime, Babyface
91. Poison, Alice Cooper
92. This Time I Know It's For Real, Donna Summer I loves me some Donna Summer.
93. Smooth Criminal, Michael Jackson
94. Heavan Help Me, Deon Estus Who?
95. Rock Wit'cha, Bobby Brown Suffice it to say that I do not like Bobby Brown.
96. Thinking Of You, Sa-fire I'm striking it through on general principle of the spelling of their name.
97. What You Don't Know, Expose
I adore Expose, all eighty different versions of them.
98. Surrender To Me, Ann Wilson and Robin Zander Too melodramatic.
99. The End Of The Innocence, Don Henley
100. Keep On Movin', Soul II Soul

You would think, looking at this list, that there was no good music back in 1989, at least according to me. However, I really didn't listen to a whole lot of Top 40 radio back then, and I was too busy thinking I was way cooler than everyone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll