What does Gina resort to when her mind begins to drift? A meme, of course. This one is a music meme that did the rounds oh-so-long ago, and I remember seeing it at APL's ages and ages ago, but I found it by googling. I realize that I have made somebody mad by using that as a verb, but it's Friday, and I'm not really sure I care. I care sort of, does that make you feel better? Also, because I am not going to reference the blog I lifted the rules from, does that mean I must go straight to blogger hell?
I found the top 100 songs from the year of my high school graduation, which was 1989. I will strike through the songs I hate, leave the ones that I am ok with, and bold the ones I really like. Here goes:
4. Straight Up, Paula Abdul I'm a little embarassed.
5. Miss You Much, Janet Jackson
9. Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird, Will To Power
10. Giving You The Best That I Got, Anita Baker I really love her voice.
11. Right Here Waiting, Richard Marx I don't know why.
12. Waiting For A Star To Fall, Boy Meets Girl
14. Don't Wanna Lose You, Gloria Estefan
17. The Look, Roxette I think everyone else liked it better than me, but it was ok.
18. She Drives Me Crazy, Fine Young Cannibals
21. Blame It On The Rain, Milli Vanilli It was wrong, but it felt so right.
22. Listen To Your Heart, Roxette
24. If You Don't Know Me By Now, Simply Red
25. Like A Prayer, Madonna
27. How Can I Fall?, Breathe
31. The Living Years, Mike and the Mechanics Who didn't sing "Say it loud, say it clear" at the top of your lungs while sobbing? Who?
32. Eternal Flame, The Bangles One of their more annoying ones.
33. Wild Thing, Tone Loc
34. When I See You Smile, Bad English
36. Buffalo Stance, Neneh Cherry LOVE Neneh Cherry. That whole CD rocks.
37. When I'm With You, Sheriff Iffy.
40. Good Thing, Fine Young Cannibals
42. Bust A Move, Young M.C.
47. Love Shack, B-52's
51. So Alive, Love and Rockets Sweet.
53. Armageddon It, Def Leppard Say it to my face, huh?
54. Satisfied, Richard Marx
55. Express Yourself, Madonna
58. Sowing The Seeds Of Love, Tears For Fears
59. Cherish, Madonna
62. I Don't Want Your Love, Duran Duran Did you expect differently?
63. Second Chances, .38 Special
64. The Way You Love Me, Karyn White Errrm, don't know this one either.
65. Funky Cold Medina, Tone Loc C'mon, you know it makes you wanna dance.
66. In Your Room, Bangles
68. Love Song, Cure
69. Secret Rendesvous, Karyn White
70. Angel Eyes, Jeff Healey Band
72. Walk On Water, Eddie Money For some strange reason, I like Eddie Money.
76. Stand, R.E.M.
83. This Promise, When In Rome
84. What I Am, Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians
88. She Wants To Dance With Me, Rick Astley
89. Dreamin', Vanessa Williams She totally rocks as Wilhemina on "Ugly Betty."
91. Poison, Alice Cooper
92. This Time I Know It's For Real, Donna Summer I loves me some Donna Summer.
97. What You Don't Know, Expose I adore Expose, all eighty different versions of them.
99. The End Of The Innocence, Don Henley
100. Keep On Movin', Soul II Soul
You would think, looking at this list, that there was no good music back in 1989, at least according to me. However, I really didn't listen to a whole lot of Top 40 radio back then, and I was too busy thinking I was way cooler than everyone else.