Completely Over My Head

Py Korry has a fabulous feature on his blog. On Fridays, he features a fun Mix Six of MP3's for our listening pleasure. They usually have some kind of theme, and since he and I have fairly similar taste in music, it's usually all good.

But today. Today he featured a Guns N' Roses song. I'm not sure there are any descriptions available to say how much I hate Guns N' Roses. The lead singer's voice is the equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I would rather listen to my son whining than him. And he's ugly. In fact, all of the band are ugly and I think their music is generic rock. Perhaps people like it because it is simply done loudly. That must be it. It was their grand plan just to deafen everyone into thinking they had decent music.

That got me to thinking about what other music/singers/bands that enjoy great popularity but left me cold.

Take Justin Timberlake. There are all these people that think he is the best thing since sliced bread, but to me he just looks like somebody's scruffy younger brother. He has in no way brought sexy back, or forwards for that matter, to me. I find his "music" boring and tedious, while his tinny voice leaves me wishing for a nice, deep baritone to come along and save me. Who told him that girly voices were sexy? Find them and beat them now.

Another one is John Mayer. To me, the guy just sounds like he has finished a huge bong and just happened to pick up a guitar and microphone afterwards. Oh, that's what most of them do? Well, he makes it really obvious. I always feel sleepy and hungry after hearing him.

And a song that outrages me with its popularity every time I have the misfortune of hearing it is a horrific caterwauling ditty called "What's Going On" by a one-hit wonder band called Four Non Blondes. They should have named themselves "Four Non Talented People who Must Have Slept With a Record Executive." Seriously, this song is so bad that I would rather listen to polka. I will not subject you to the torture that is this song by linking to it. I like you too much.

Is there any artist out there that leaves you scratching your head and wondering why everyone else thinks they are wonderful?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll