It'll Be Our Little Secret

Let me say this- I don't trust people.

Oh, well, I don't mean you. At least, I don't think I mean you.

But how do I really know it's you?

Over at Heather's excellent blog there has been a bit of discussion about people presenting themselves as something they possibly aren't.

Which got me to thinking about why I have chosen the rather high level of anonymity that I have.

Check out that first line again.

At this point in my life, I suppose you could say I have a rather pessimistic view of the human race. On the whole, I think people are good, but it is just those few crazy ones that ruin it for the rest of us.

Isn't that always how it is?

I don't like posting pictures of my current self because a) I don't want anyone to recognize me and realize I am snarking about them and b) I don't want someone able to lift my picture, or that of any of my family members, and do something I don't know about with it.

I don't like using real names because again, I don't want anyone recognizing me or my family, and thus, the people I am talking about.

Early on in my blogging experience, I had someone who I would label a semi-stalker. I suppose it was partly my fault for allowing them to IM me, but I was naive and new to the whole blogging thing. It turned out that as soon as I would get on the computer, this person would start IM'ing me, and I felt as if there was something a little off. Finally, I confronted the person nicely and rationally about the constant "attention" and never heard from them again. They even stopped blogging. It all was a bit creepy and made me want to hold people at arm's length, at least until I got to know them.

Which is funny, because technically I don't "know" any of you, but I have felt comfortable enough to meet up with people and to give others my address, which to me is a huge leap of faith. Because I have a young child and a husband who never asked for me to go and hang out on the big internets and meet people who may or may not be kosher.

So for the most part I prefer to hide and, some would say, be cowardly.

But really, my name is Gina.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

Friday Poll