Going Against My Better Judgement

So I rarely recommend books to people. It makes me uncomfortable. People's tastes are so different, and there really is no accounting for it. Nothing would make me feel guiltier than to tell someone to read a book that I had liked, and then they go and read it and at the end feel as if they had wasted hours of their lives. Because of me.

But, since people have asked so very prettily, I will go ahead and give you some of my personal favorites in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, although most of these more closely adhere to fantasy.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Trilogy) Douglas Adams

Page for page, the first book of the trilogy is one of the funniest I have ever read. The second two are good as well, and hey, its a trilogy so you gotta read them all. This is a sci-fi book, British humor. I heard the movie wasn't very good, but the movies are rarely any good.

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Gregory Maguire

It is what it says, a twist on the life of the famed Wicked Witch of the West. Very, very funny and clever.

The Mists of Avalon Marion Zimmer Bradley

For the Arthurian legend fans, a wonderfully written book. Is part one of a series, but it can stand alone.

DragonLance Series (Original Authors Only) Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

This is a set of very traditional fantasy books, with lots of elves, dwarves, wars, true love, fights against evil and such. It was so wildly popular that it spawned what seemed to be dozens of books. I put the caveat of "original authors only" because after a while, the publishing company started having other people take over the franchise, and it they never quite got it right.

Dragon Riders of Pern (Trilogy) Anne McCaffrey

One of my most favorite set of books in the fantasy genre. There is more than just the original trilogy, and the rest are very good as well.

Foundation Series Isaac Asimov

A set of very hard-core sci-fi books. Brilliantly done by one of the most famous sci-fi authors.

LiveShip Traders (Trilogy) Robin Hobb

I agree with Suzanne, this was a great set. Ships that posess a consciousness? Who could have ever thought that concept would work? But it does.

Earthsea Chronicles Ursula K. LeGuin

A well-known and well told set. Traditional and very detailed.

Ok, now, hopefully at least one of these will have sparked your interest somewhat. If you have a chance to read any of them, let me know. Uh, that is unless you didn't like them, and then you can keep it to yourself.

Comments

Anvilcloud said…
I've done the Foundation Series, or most of it at some point, but, as I have said, SF isn't my favourite genre. I have read Mists of Avalon, but I prefer Jack Whyte's series. well, up to a point, but it is also one of those never-ending series.

Did you ever try Donaldson's Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through? I forgot about them earlier. Good stories as I recall but not as dark or as everlastingly long as the Covenant Chronicles.
Suzanne said…
Oh yeah! Thanks for the reminder, eb.

I'd been meaning to stop by and express my profound sympathies that your darling husband's favorite talented-filled yet dreadfully overpaid team failed again to make it to the WORLD SERIES. Please pass along my sincere condolences.

Mwah. Sincerely.

Oh! And another fantasy author whose works I deem wonderful entertainment: Juliet E. McKenna. Good stuff.

Suzanne

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen Between the Cracks

Onward

All I Saw was a Beard and a Moustache